As 2013 drew to a close, Instagram (the photo-sharing app) released a blog listing its Top 10 ‘most checked-in’ locations of the year. Standing atop the podium, Number 1 in the world, was the Siam Paragon shopping mall in Bangkok, Thailand. In fact, Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi Airport was the only other Instagram Top 10 location outside of the United States.
2013 was a good tourist year for the Thai capital, as it became the first Asian city to top the Global Destination Cities Index, published by Mastercard, with 15.98 million international visitors. (London was second with 15.96 million.)
So what is it about Bangkok that has tourists from across the planet flocking in. Here is a top 5 list of things to do in Thailand’s accolade-grabbing capital city:
1. Visit Wat Arun at Sunset: Despite being known as the Temple of the Dawn, it is ironically most stunning when visited around sunset, once it has been lit up.
2. Haggle at the Famous Floating Markets: Head along to Thailand’s famous floating markets, with boats stacked high with local produce and try out the local cuisine from kitchen boats!
3. Party down the Khao San Road: The home of Bangkok nightlife, the Khao San has something for everyone, from trendy clubs to kooky cocktail bars. Every night is a party night, and the atmosphere and energy of the Khao San Road is definitely worth checking out.
4. Soak in the culture at the Grand Palace: A must-see for anyone visiting Bangkok, the Grand Palace is one of Thailand’s most iconic attractions. It was built in 1782, and remains a stunning example of Thai architecture that is high on most tourists destination hotspots.
5. Explore the City by Boat: Bangkok is dubbed in many a guide book as ‘the Venice of the East’, and travelling by boat allows you to take in the sights of traditional Bangkok, away from the traffic jams of the centre of town.
Oh and of course, don’t forget to Instagram the Siam Paragon Shopping Mall to keep it Number 1 for 2014 as well!